Skip to main content

My reading favourites

Last month I decided to try and read more. I love reading, but I sometimes find that there are not enough hours in the day and of course, as things do, reading gets forgotten about. As we were on holiday the first few days of August , it seemed the perfect time to start.

I joined two local libraries. We are lucky enough to live on the border of two counties and two countries - how fab does that sound?! Anyway, I joined Shropshire Libraries and I popped across the border and joined Wrexham Libraries. And the added bonus of both; the have eBooks and audio-books that you can also borrow. This made my little heart sing!

Matt Haig is my author of the moment. When it comes to picking which books to read, I am very sporadic. If I fall in love with a series, I MUST read all the ones I possibly can. I love to discover new authors either through fab recommendations from friends or my fail-safe method is to have a scan down a list of titles and authors and see if any take my fancy, that is my only criteria. I will have a go and read anything: crime, fantasy, chic-lit, personal development.... I will have a go at anything.

And the random way is exactly how I found my first Matt Haig novel, How To Stop Time - the cover intrigued me. After downloading this book, I could not put it down and in less than a day it was finished. Thinking that it was a one off, I popped to the library to finish my registration and found another of his, The Humans, watching me from the shelves. As it had been awhile since I physically held and read a book (a lot have been read on my kindle), I decided to borrow it and give it a go. 24 very short hours later - that one was also finished and I was hooked on his stories. I did a little bit of Google searching and discovered that he had also written a non-fiction book, Reasons To Stay Alive. After enjoying curling up with a 'real' book, this is now on order from the library - hurry up please! Thank you.

I have also listened to an amazing book: The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris. There is no way to describe this book to do it any justice. If you only read or listen to one book this year - please give this a go. It is so beautifully written and I cannot recommend it more. This is one, I know I will go back and actually reread.

The Society by Jodie Andrefski is another book  I read last month. As it has been on my Kindle for so long and I don't actually remember buying it, I *think* that it was a 99p impulse buy. I have been so lucky with my recent choices, this was one more book I found hard to put down. The book is meant to highlight the plight of bullying and how it affects teenagers, but still a really good read. I am not normally drawn to teenage drama, Harry Potter excluded from this generalisation obvs, but it was still an enjoyable read.

A little late to the party but I finally got around to reading Inferno by Dan Brown. This book has been on my Kindle since it was first released, I *loved* The Davinci Code. There is just something about the way he writes that makes me want to visit allll the places in his books and this was no exception. I may have Googled 'holidays to Florence' whilst I was reading it. The story is fantastic, with a very different undertone to the other books of his I have read, but still just as great. I love how fast paced he writes, whilst still managing to keep you interested the whole story, this is great for a skim reader like me!


So there you have a quick round up of the books that I have been reading and loving! And of course if you have any suggestions of books that you have read and loved, please, please send them my way!

I hope you have a fabulous rest of week.

Lots of love

Nina xx

Comments

  1. I loved reading about your favorite books!
    I am currently in the middle of The Davinci Code and I am obsessed! I've watched all the movies with my hubby, but nothing holds a candle to the detail poured out in the pages of Dan Brown's novels. I can't wait to pick up the next one!
    I will definitely be looking into some of the other books you've recommended!
    Thanks for sharing!
    ~ Ray
    www.hartofblogging.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ray, you will not be disappointed - they are fab books. I haven't watched the films, are they worth a go? I get so obsessed with the books, I always find the films never live up to my standards when I love the books so much (I have high standards for favourite books!) Nina xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

September Goals

Being slightly different. I am not one to start my goals at the start of the month, that is far too predictable! Instead, I thought I would let September bed in a week or so, think about them and then give them a go. So I suppose this is more of an “autumn goal list” really. Running This is my  first  goal. I have ‘messed’ about with it for a while and I do not even know why… Just one of those Nina things. But things got serious the other night, I ordered a running lead for Moo! There goes my excuse that Moo doesn’t like/can’t do road running. We tried it and she didn’t hate it. If I am being honest, I am not convinced she like it all that much, but she didn’t hate it and I am taking that as progress. So my goal, is to become more structured with my running and then (fingers crossed) I will become better and better. As I am bloody struggling at the moment, I am aiming for at least four time a week, remember I did say aiming! Let’s see how this goes.. Reading I read A

My current fitness routine

I thought as I am trying to get into a routine, I would share my ‘current’ fitness routine, as we all know I am a little fickle and prone to change! There is a small chance that this post is also to motivate me into sticking to what I am sharing with you all…. Just a small one, therefore let’s go with  it..     Running   I have finally got back into running and I am bloody loving it. I started running properly last year and really got into a fab routine: I was running regularly and my distances were getting pretty darn good! Then ‘poof’ my motivation stopped and for some reason I stopped running. I tried but I just couldn’t get my routine back. I am pretty darn annoyed with myself to be  honest..  *let’s look at the positives* I have started again and its fabulous. My distances are nowhere near as far as last year but they are nowhere near as bad as I imagined that they would be before I restarted. Plus, they  is  something soul restoring about running early morning before